Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 9, 2008 Day 2

Well now, I'd love to regale you with tales of my strict suffering and mind-numbing perfection - but we'll have to both settle for moderation. Sure, sure, I was the Queen of Control for most of the day, but then I got to go "out" tonight.

This brings me to an odd musing. Should dieters be allowed to go "out"? I mean, can we function in normal society without acting like a horse's patoot? How many times have you had a dieter to your home for whatever-the-reason, only to have them make a huge fuss over what they "can't" eat, or how "awful for them" your dinner is? Have you been in public with a dieter? They'll usually turn themselves inside out refusing some extravagance, all while making you feel like so much sludge for actually nibbling the accursed item. And Heaven help you if you notice/ask/pay-any-attention-to their "restraint". Its a sure bet you'll hear about their sacrifices, how successful they've been, and basically what a schleppo-de-Beppo you are for not following in their Food Saint footsteps. I'm telling you, there are valid arguments for dieters coming with warning labels.

So here I was, smack in the middle of dilemma. Should I go to my Mom's Night Out and be a giant equine rear-end by refusing to eat anything that wasn't good for me? Or, considering I knew the fair was "tailgate" food - subs and such - should I just stay home? I mean, unless you're Rachel Ray with a Donald Trump budget, "tailgate food" is not likely to be anything close to diet food, or heck, even healthy. I mused for a while this morning, and ended up deciding to go. Events, outings, Life aren't going to stop happening because I need to reduce the size of my caboose. That's how I got into this mess, thinking in absolutes. "I'll eat this Wendy's triple, because tomorrow I'll never eat Wendy's again..." There's no point to absolutes, they just don't lead to absolution.

So, off I went - seeking the company of other cancer moms, the joy of a few child-free hours, and the assurance that I can, indeed, carry on a conversation with someone over 13. Yes, I needed last night - even if I knew it might not be diet perfect. I left the house determined not to "pig out" and doubly determined not to be the dieter who makes all those around her want to stick a fork in their eye. Want to hear the really funny part? I was responsible for bringing dessert! Hah!

All told, my cupcakes and I didn't do too bad. I had two small sections of a sub, and I even removed a lot of the bread - it was soggy from transport time, and kind of icky. I had probably a 3/4 C serving of a bowtie/spinach pasta thing - which was crawl-inside-of-good. And I did try to get more spinach, less pasta - at least I tried to without becoming that picky patoot person I've described. I only had 2, count them 2 cheese puffs - because I wanted to try the whole-grain healthy puffs everyone was talking about. (They sucked. Not worth wasting my calories on.) I had 4 Tostitoes dippers and tsp or two of Mexican dip, and a Diet Coke. I'd say not to bad in DietWorld. That is, until dessert time......

Ha ha, it is to laugh! I didn't do too bad there either! Hee hee, fooled you. Yes, I had dessert. But, I had it in moderation. I had a 2in x 2in piece of German Chocolate Brownie, and a mini cupcake. I should have stopped at the Brownie, but the mini-cupcake intrigued me - I've never seen them so small! It couldn't have been an inch in diameter, it was rather fairy-cakeish. I tried one out of sheer curiosity, and won't need to again. It was just OK, nothing too magical and certainly not worth the zillion calories that were probably lurking in it. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

So, I survived going "public" and really didn't do too bad. I did, however, meet up with not one, but two Dieting Patoots. They regaled me with tales of their sacrifices, and I tried to keep my sub in my over-sized stomach. In all fairness though, as I thought, Good Grief, does she know how annoying that is? they were probably thinking, My Word, does she know how big her butt is?. Its fair. We're both blind in the ways we need to survive. Alls fair in love and fat.

Toodles!

Brunch: 2 C coffee with 2 TBS creamer each - 180 cal, 1 egg with 1/4 C shred ched cheese - 2 sausage links - 1 C onions- 1C tomatoes

3 C of water during the day

Dinner: what I described above

No comments: